In addition to books for young and adult readers, my family buys a lot of picture books. We have three shelves packed tight with them and three overflow stacks spread across the rest of the house.
For years I’ve wanted to catalog my favorites but never got around to it. So this spring, I hired my nine year-old daughter to do it for me.
After reviewing well over 100 children’ books, these were her favorites rated 4.5 out of 5 stars or better:
- The Gardener
- The Gruffulo—”I like this book because the mouse is supser tricky.” (also one of my personal favorites)
- I Remember Miss Perry (Confession: I wept after reading this book)
- Little Blue Truck—I like this book because it shows that friends can work together.”
- One—This book made me believe that it doesn’t matter what people think.” (Also a great book on standing up to bullies)
- The Five Chinese Brothers
- Waiting is Not Easy
- The Thank You Book
- There Is A Bird On Your Head
- Babe Ruth Saves Baseball
- The Book With No Pictures
- Room On The Broom—”I loved the illustrations.” (also fun to read)
- The Snatchabook
- The Day The Crayons Quit—The story is very clever.
- The Story of Ferdinand (timeless art and being true to yourself no matter what others say)