Just look at these crazy growth and digital video numbers according to Fast Company:
- 18 billion videos were streamed online in 2005 (there were 9 billion in 2004 and 285 million in 1998)
- Visits to YouTube rose 170% from November 2005 to February 2006.
- $585,000 | Cost of a high-definition video camera in 1984 (in 2006 dollars)
- Cost today for the equivalent: under $6,000
- 4 million | Number of U.S. households that now use digital video cameras and editing software monthly
- In 2005, box-office revenue fell 5.2% (from $9.5 billion to $9 billion)
Also, be sure to check out the magazine’s article on the Four Eyed Monsters indie film that is a case study on social marketing and independent publishing. From the article: “Asked if they would accept a $2 million offer from a distributor for the rights to Four Eyed Monsters, Crumley [creator] says, ‘No.’ Buice [co-creator] isn’t so sure. ‘Only if we maintain control,’ Crumley insists. What if that wasn’t part of the deal? ‘No.'”