I always get a good chuckle hearing people say something other than “Internet.” Having personally celebrated over 50 years* online, these are my favorite alternatives:
- Cyberspace. A fancy word presumably created by school teachers to give the simple sounding Internet a sense of exploration. Use sparingly for comedic delivery.
- Information Super Highway. School teachers that took the glitzy sounding Cyberspace to the next level. Never use in serious situations.
- Intertubes. A popular synonym created by internet denizens and intended to be funny. It’s sorta tired now, though still funny if spoken by a casual internet user.
- The Internets. Another popular synonym used by internet denizens to intentionally sound ignorant. Still funny.
- The Net. An abbreviated alternative to Internet. Do not use unless you want to sound simian.
- The World Wide Web. Though accurate, this one sounds sophisticatedly stupid. Consider it deprecated.
- The WWW. Can be funny when said using a southern accent, but it should be avoided.
- The Web. This one’s okay, but use Internet instead or “online” as an adverb.
- Infobahn. A portmanteau of autobahn and information. I need to use this one more.
Am I missing any?
*Really 14 years